Exceeding Expectations

The Legacies which became national champions in their competitions. Photo courtesy of the @cainlegacies Instagram.

HOSA, DECA, Robotics, and Legacies have gotten the chance to show off in competitions held by UIL. While these students have been going up against far more experienced schools, the students outlook on the competition is high.

Just last month the legacies took a journey to nationals where they came out victorious in dance categories such as solo and ensemble. Solo finalist Grace Souchuck expressed her take on nationals, and what it meant to her.

“We worked really hard to achieve national grand champs,”

DECA members which made it to state in their competitions. "I am so VERY proud of these kids right here!! THEY worked hard to get to State for DECA," adviser Marcie Kuhl said in a tweet. Photo courtesy of @CoachKuhl1.
DECA members which made it to state in their competitions. “I am so VERY proud of these kids right here!! THEY worked hard to get to State for DECA,” adviser Marcie Kuhl said in a tweet. Photo courtesy of the @CoachKuhl1 Twitter.

Souchuck said. “When we won it felt very rewarding.”

Like the Legacies, Distributive Education Clubs of America, or DECA competed in nationals in hopes of taking home the cake. Here, all students a part of this program get the chance to showcase their abilities in marketing, finance, and hospitality. With time and preparation, the students have to perfect their craft. The stakes are rather high in the competition.

Some of the Cain Engineering/Robotics students that placed third place in TSA. Photo courtesy of the @CainEngineers Twitter.

Cain HOSA Takes it to Internationals

While Health Occupations of America, or HOSA, skips over nationals, they have the opportunity to compete yet again in internationals. This year’s competition will be at Disney’s Coronado Springs Resort in

Some of the students at the State HOSA Opening Ceremony. Photo courtesy of the @Cain_HOSA Twitter.

Orlando, Florida. HOSA member Anya Robinson will be competing for the second time in extemporaneous writing, or a written essay over a medical topic.

“My ultimate goal for HOSA Internationals is to place in the top 3 for my event,” Robinson said.

While Robinson will face more experienced peers, her passion to work hard is highlighted.

“It shakes my confidence a little,” Robinson said. “I know that with hard work and determination, I can still do well and possibly succeed my own expectations as well as others’ expectations.”

Despite the future outcome of the competition, HOSA adviser Wendy Avery made Robinson’s contribution to HOSA abundantly clear.

“She’s an excellent representative for Klein Cain HOSA,” Avery said. “We wish her the best of luck.”