DECA made it into internationals a week ago after their state competition at Atlanta, Georgia. There were different events available for members to compete in, and rewards for those who placed in the top spots.

“There’s two types of events. There’s written events and role play events,” Carter Nicol said. “The one that me, Ricky, and Doug did was the written events.”

The students that competed earned different awards for the events. The three boys competed as a group with the goal of completing a business plan, and Tanya Dhingra competed by herself and earned a silver medal for one of her role-plays.

“If you’re in finals, you’re in top 20, then you get a blue medallion. If you’re in the top three then you get a trophy. If you place first in your section for any other event, then you get a silver medallion,” Dhingra said.

They were able to collaborate with people from different places around the world such as China, Canada, and Australia. Meeting with other competitors provided opportunities to ask them about different strategies, and trade with them using the pin trading system.

“It was good because then you get to meet a lot of new people who also are interested in the same things that you’re interested in. They have also worked really hard to get to nationals,” Dhingra said. “You can learn a lot from them, their study techniques, their experiences as well, and also what event you plan on doing next year.”

In order to be able to make it as far they did, the competitors put in practice and effort beforehand. They targeted their meetings and study sessions, and spent a long time making business plans. A lot of practice tests were taken to be able to lea

rn the information in more depth and also have some extra help on role-pays. Once or twice a week they would meet to run the presentation with their group.

“We worked on the presentation a lot. The business plan we kind of made it like once for District and then we kind of revised it based on feedback from the judges, but most of our practice went in oral presentation and sort of editing that,” Ricky Moctezuma said.

The DECA Cain students managed to get recognized on stage with over hundreds of students alongside them. It wasn’t something that everyone gets to qualify for. Compared to the number of students participating, there was a limited amount of students who managed to make it so far.

“Even just to get on the stage there were about 20,000 DECA students there from all over the countries, and even if you get called up on stage at all it’s a huge honor,” DECA adviser  Marcie Kuhl said.